Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The Da Kine about Hawaiians

I haven't mentioned it that much but the unit I'm with is actually part of the Hawaiian national guard. In my tent of ten there are seven from Hawaii. The other two are fillers like me, one from Washington the other from Iowa.

There's a type of slang called Pidgin that in some ways sounds a little bit like Jamaican. I'd catch a lot of hell if they saw me write this, they're fiercly independent and sensative about that type of comparison. That's why I like to mention it to them daily, all in good fun of course. Here's a site with phrases you can listen to.

I haven't picked up on all of it but the most used phrase has to be "Da Kine". It pops up in nearly every other sentence. This is akin to saying "whatchamacallit" I suppose. I like the previously mentioned websites official definition and translation.

DA KINE

Definition:
anything to which you are referring when you can't remember what it is

Example: You going take DA KINE wit you fo go pick up DA KINE? ah. Oh shoots.

Translation: So are you going to take Susie & Judy with you to pick up the pizza & beer? Yes. Good.

Besides the slang exposure I've had a run in with some interesting snacks. The first was dried mango which I love, and the second was cuttlefish which I can't find a taste for. It reminded me of seafood that had been cooked, allowed to go cold and then gone bad. When I first tried it I was in the Humvee turret and immediatly shot the stuff out of my mouth and into a garbage infested razor wire fence where it looked less out of place. "That's good stuff huh?" asked the driver not knowing I had spit it out. "It's... interesting" I said, as I shoved 4 cough drops in my mouth to alleviate the taste.

What's a cuttlefish you ask? Click here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuttlefish

What did this fine snack look like? Click here.
http://www.alohagoodies.com/Crunch.html

Mmmm monosodium glutamate.

10 Comments:

At Wed Feb 23, 08:37:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha Jimmer! I work with your Aunt Diana. She told me about your website. I have internet access at work, but she doesn't. If you want to e-mail her at work, her address is McNeilD@co.clinton.ny.us.

I've been to Hawaii four times. I really enjoyed "The Da Kine about Hawaiians". The one word I made sure to be able to say is Humuhumunukunukuapua'a. That is the state fish of Hawaii. It's a trigger fish. It seemed like every time we went on a boat either for snorkeling or whale watching, they asked if anyone could tell them what the state fish was. We love Hawaii. We plan on going again.

Mahalo for the Hawaiian posting in Jim's Blogspot!

Aloha,
Donna

 
At Wed Feb 23, 12:27:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jim,
You are quite the adventurous eater. I wonder which North Country delicacies your friends might find repulsive? Maybe blood puddinf, dried beef on toast or any of my own cooking. Which of my many requested specialties shall I send? I'm make a special appetizer caled Salt and Vinegar chips.

I can't wait to ghet back to school to share this with my students. They will be very excited. I will let you know of any progress.

Your mother tells me we think alike. Who would have known you were so brilliant and intuitive?

Talk to you soon and keep posting.

Jenn

 
At Wed Feb 23, 08:43:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Jim! Still keeping up to date with all you write. I hope to have a letter out soon. Stay safe! More later!

~Vicki

 
At Thu Feb 24, 08:46:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jimmy,

I had to show your last posting to my girlfriend here at work. She was born in Hawaii and was just talking me about their language. It is so great that you share all these neat experiences with us. I miss you and love you. Stay safe, Lisa

 
At Fri Feb 25, 10:52:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Vern,
It is so nice to hear about all of your activites and the new things you are trying. I love being able to keep in touch when you are so far away.
Kev and I have good news..ITS A GIRL !!!! We had our sonogram on the 24th and everything looks good.
Stay safe, be careful, and keep writing. We love you and you are in our prayers.
love missy

 
At Sat Feb 26, 02:29:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jim, I work at the same facility as your Father. He told me about your website. I just wanted to pass along something that I have observed... I don't know when I have seen a Father who is prouder of his Son than yours is of you.
I have enjoyed your website, it is very entertaining as well as informative.
I generally like to try new types of food(escargo excluded), however I'll be sure to avoid Da Kine of fish you mentioned.
Take Care, Nadine

 
At Sun Feb 27, 06:28:00 AM EST, Blogger Jim Tourville said...

Congratulations Missy! I'm sure she'll be glad that she's not the "middle child". We all know how traumatizing that syndrome can be! I think of the scrapes on the wall from rearranging family photos and cringe.


About the cuttlefish, maybe I was a little harsh I'm normally an adventerous eater and I can eat sushi all day but this stuff just hit my taste buds wrong. Perhaps I can give it another try. Argh did I really say that?

 
At Sun Feb 27, 11:32:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jim -
remember the time we ate sushi in florida and i thought the garnish was sprinkles...but it turned out to be orange fish eggs?? YOWZA!! :)
i don't know if i'd be willing to try this da kine fish you speak of...
i do, however, have A LOT of fish puppets in my classroom - the kids are teaching them how to read and whatnot...maybe i'll name one "Da Kine" -- the others are named Jafelta and Sunny Valentine, so he'd fit right in. ;)
stay safe and keep writing!!
faith.
:)

 
At Mon Feb 28, 05:13:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo,
I mailed you out an entertainment package today. 50 dvds and some Maxims. Hopefully they will get there sometime before you leave. By the way, I talked to a bunch of ex military guys here, and none of them believe the Hummer "accidently" got stuck either.
Enjoy,
-Schietzelt

 
At Wed Mar 02, 01:09:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jimmer-

Dont let Jenn fool you, she cannot cook...at all.... just kidding, she is pretty good actually...lol
We saw your mom a few weeks ago at Jenn's baby shower and she said she asked you which cousin you would want to say hi to the most. And trust me I know which one it was. Jennifer thought for a moment it was her, but who is she trying to kid,, we all know that I am your favorite!!! That is why you let me tag along all those years. But not to worry we can still keep it b/t us so we dont hurt anyone in the family!!!!!!!!!! ha
Thank you for another awesome update and I hope everything is well with you. As soon as I am settled in the house I hope to send you something. Aunt Susie gave me some good ideas! Love you
Meg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home