Thursday, February 10, 2005

Rolling around Kuwait

Our location has changed and finally we've arrived in a semi-permanent location at camp spearhead. The days leading up to this were a mix of the usual Army down time and busy work, with a sliver of odd moments.

Upon arrival we were completely exhausted. They showed us to our new living quarters which was a large green tent with cots for sleeping. I didn't have much will in me to start exploring so I headed for the showers with heavy eyelids. These were strategically placed about 300 yards and two checkpoints away. So I trudged through the gravel, flung my ID card near the guards eyeballs and hopped into surprisingly good showers. From there I plopped into my sleeping bag, and to my surprise found the cots to be comfortable.

Early in the morning we all woke up to some wailing coming over distant loud speakers. Our camp is inside a Kuwaiti navel base and just outside the fence is a Mosque. About five times a day, depending on the alignment of the sun I believe, the call to prayer is heard from a slender minaret. The normal reaction of troops walking around the camp was usually to start humming along, attempting to imitate it. This provided some interesting ear splendor.

Around half the time we were there we had down time to adjust to the time changes. New York is approximately 8 hours behind Kuwait so it took some getting used to.

Whenever we did leave the base we headed for firing ranges near the Iraqi border. This made for three hour bus rides that become tedious, but offered up a great opportunity to catch up on lost sleep. Most of the time we were up and out by about 4am. It was still dark for most of the ride and in the distance I noticed what looked like large sticks of vertical light all across the desert landscape. Apparently many Kuwaiti Bedouins like to camp right off the roads. The lights look a lot like long fluorescent tubes you see in the ceiling of offices. A few times there were even herds of camels trotting around nearby areas.

Once at the firing range we were forced to embrace the change in climate. For the most part the only section of Kuwait I had seen was not all that different from the El Paso landscape. In many cases Kuwait seemed more fertile, with large trees and even grass growing in dispersed patches. Out on the range near the Iraqi border was a completely different place. It was entirely desolate and flat like most deserts are portrayed in film and television. You know the scenes, a single guy dragging himself around gasping for water.

This all proved to be hell on my gun which locked up several times. Things weren't much better for my body either. In all my infinate wisdom I forgot to pack some goggles and my eyes payed the price. A day later I could still feel grains of sand crunching around in my eyes. For the guys and gals who live in this everyday, I'm impressed. After eight hours I was ready to be rid of it all.

After about three days of going to these ranges we thought we were finally through with them. To our surprise, the brigade decided that our company was going to give up our M4 weapons (The lighter version of the M16 rifle you see most people with) to give to a headquarters unit.

We were sent out again, and the mood of the company was furious. I actually saw some soldiers throwing dirt into the bolt and barrel of the rifle, and cranking the sights to completely screwed up positions. As annoyed as I was about losing my gun, I found this ridiculous that they would knowingly throw dirt into weapons, and sabotage the sights because they were upset about losing their M4s. I was less disturbed by this though when we received our rickety M16s that hadn't been cleaned in ages. Some of the bolts were rusty, almost all had a thick coat of carbon, and many of the weapons were incredibly worn out. I'm still curious as to why they decided to do this in Kuwait instead of within the United States where they had proper Zeroing ranges. I'm also curious as to why a headquarters unit is doing combat work in Iraq while an engineering unit stays behind but I guess I shouldn't complain abou that. When all was said and done, the people who were going north to Iraq right away have the better weapons and that sits alright with me.

After that controversy the mood turned more positive as we finally began doing our jobs. For the first two days we were trucked out to a nearby port we've been tasked to guard, but now we've made a permanent move which was gladly welcomed. We're still in large tents but soon we'll make the move to smaller eight man tents and a bit more privacy.

Overall this new camp is very similar to the old one, only a bit smaller. The major difference is the surrounding setting which is packed with smokestacks from the nearby port and oil refineries. Giant flames burst out from the top of most of them constantly. There's a question of air quality as there's not much of an EPA here. If you ask me, South Florida smells worse in many spots. Most of the guys leaving looked like they were in good health so for now I'm not going to worry about it.

So far my job has been entertaining. I was fortunate enough to end up on a team assigned to patrol the base on a Humvee which gave me the opportunity to scope out most of the base I wouldn't have otherwise seen. Lately I've been assigned as a gunner which means I get to stick my head out of hole on top of the Humvee and suck in some of the smokestack juices.

The crew that we're taking over from was made up of a creative and resourceful bunch. They somehow managed to put together an old tent from corpses of other tents to use as a bit of a hidden rest stop. They've also collected all sorts of other junk people were throwing out or giving away including a bunch of comfy chairs, a pair of cots, coffee maker, assorted games, magazines, and even a huge generator. Most amazingly (and as yet unverified) is that they somehow managed to sign for a brand new up armored Humvee that somehow was lost. Makes you feel all warm and cozy inside knowing the government can lose something that costs over 150,000 dollars.

16 Comments:

At Sun Feb 13, 08:02:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,

I hope that all is going well for you, and it is fun to read your post. If only I could put my
thoughts to paper in a way that is as interesting to read as yours is. If you keep an in depth
journal while you are away you could write a book that I am sure would be enjoyable to read.
Be safe and I look forward to more posts and talking to you. Dad

 
At Sun Feb 13, 11:36:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey jimay -
it was nice to read your post...even nicer knowing that you are safe and sound!
please keep writing - your words are an inspiration, and your work gives us hope.
let me know if you need anything. since you guys now have a coffee pot, i'm sure we could scrounge up some nice green mountain gourmet blend or something for you to enjoy in your more restful moments. :)
love,
faither.
;)
ps - don't stick yer head too far out the toppa that humvee...ya might get licked by a camel or something...SLLUUUUUURP!!! :)

 
At Sun Feb 13, 02:59:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,
It is great to hear what you are doing and knowing you are safe and making the best out of your situation. It is good having a sense of humor as well.
It has been great being able to talk to you as well. Reading journals is one thing but being able to talk to you in real time puts my mind at ease knowing you are ok. You are in my prayers.
Kristin

 
At Sun Feb 13, 11:18:00 PM EST, Blogger Jim Tourville said...

Let me just clarify that my quote is indeed the correct oriface to compare to the rightfully nicknamed "Camp Cancer". I'm making a post specifically about Kuwait that should be up soon.

 
At Mon Feb 14, 12:48:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,

Its good to hear that your doing ok and your safe!! Your site sure makes for some interesting reading. I enjoy reading it and making sure that your ok. Talk again soon. Be careful and safe.
Jackie

 
At Mon Feb 14, 07:33:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,
I am so glad that you are able to let us know how things are going. As you can read we are all so interested in everything you write. Your descriptions are great and allow easy mental pictures to be made. Please keep the messages coming!! We love you and miss you, Lisa

 
At Mon Feb 14, 07:53:00 PM EST, Blogger Adam said...

Hey Jim. After reading your post, I read a little about "Camp Cancer." Just think, you saved yourself the trouble of having to smoke a pack a day for 10 years just by being there. I'd be interested in seeing the landscape, even though your descriptions are pretty vivid. If you take any pics or find any websites that have some, let me know. Take care man. Be safe.

-Adam S.

 
At Mon Feb 14, 08:14:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi jim,

you definitely do not know me as i just bumped onto your blogspot while surfing.

i find your writing very interesting and pleasing. like what your dad said, yeah.. this journal of yours could probably end up in a book with your name engraved on its cover.

i really enjoyed reading them... and could easily imagine myself in all the venues you've mentioned.

anyway, take care & be safe.

- Nauruz (Singapore)

 
At Mon Feb 14, 11:55:00 PM EST, Blogger Jim Tourville said...

Adam you can view a photo of the camp
here. I'll have more posts with photos in the near future.

Ginny, I saw the book you mentioned and almost picked it up before I had left. I'll have to watch out for it at the PX.

 
At Tue Feb 15, 07:24:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,

I have to agree with everyone! Your journal is very narrative I enjoy reading it. I hope someday I can write like you. Maybe the English class I am taking will help. :) I have a long way to go!

You’re so talented; I have always known that you are a very smart man. Reading your journals I am getting to know so much more about you. This is wonderful. I am so proud of how you’re always making the best of your situations.

Be safe and take care, know that I am thinking of you often! Love your cuz, Julie

 
At Tue Feb 15, 10:52:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, May God always be with you and keep you safe. This website you have created is a beautiful thing for your family and friends to stay in touch with you. Your cousin Julie shared this site with me, we work together. I want you to know (and all of your comrads too)how proud I am of all you soldiers, like the song says "PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!" and it's you guys and gals serving your country who have done it! You take care and keep writing to us. It will be a best seller someday!
Sincerely, Sharon R.

 
At Tue Feb 15, 12:49:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,
What can I say that hasn't already been said.. You write so anyone reading it feels like they are there...I checked out the picture on the web site of the base..look forward to seeing many more. Must be interesting seeing the camels and of course riding in the hummve except for sticking your head out. As far as the sand in the eyes that had to hurt.. Looking forward to your next post.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Barb

 
At Tue Feb 15, 02:30:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jimmer - I had been waiting for your latest post and was so happy to see you updated. You absolutely amaze me every time I read. You are so brave and make the best of everything life hands you. I continue to learn from you even after all the years. Just so you know whats going on back home, Josh and I finally received the rest of the flooring for the house and have been working on that this week. We should be all done in a few weeks and moving in. I will have to get pictures to you. Take care and try not to miss me too much!!! lol I love you and and look forward to your next entry.

 
At Thu Feb 17, 07:27:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim- Sorry I did not sign who that last entry was from... :) Meaghan

 
At Thu Feb 17, 12:08:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved reading your post again Jimmer. And to think I never thought you were funny before :)
I am working on taking some pictures to e-mail you...i've had a terrible cold for the past week..I blame it on my dad...he was sick like 2 days and then better..but I haven't slept well in 3 nights..yes I'm whining...I know how much you love that...I hope to talk to you again soon.Be safe, you are in all of our prayers
Love Ash

 
At Sat Feb 19, 08:16:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peace, Jimmer. tammy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home