Wednesday, January 19, 2005

It's a great day to be a soldier

Well that's at least what the sign says when entering the base at fort Bliss. Things are going slow here. The training is redundant and somewhat cumbersome but more than likely necessary. Most of it is a review of what I had done at Fort Jackson in South Carolina.

Monday was weapons draw, and I was fortunate enough to receive the M4 which is a smaller version of the m16 machine gun you see soldier with so often. It weighs in at a pound less and is much more compact. Hopefully it isn't that much different to qualify with as we're scheduled to attempt that later this week.

The rest of the week was made up of night and day land navigation, minefield and explosive training, first aid, and radio operations. Today I was running around the desert learning infantry tactics and it was draining. I can't imagine what it's going to be like lugging around that body armor, kevlar, weapon and various other gear in 120 degree heat. It's going to take some adjusting that's for sure.

This week we'll be focusing on qualifying with weapons and then we'll be nearly done with training and ready to ship out. In a way I'm anxious to move on from this segment and on to my unit. Hopefully things will go well.

4 Comments:

At Wed Jan 19, 12:28:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say it is good to see you back on line and giving all of us an update on what is going on. I can't imagine doing any of what you are let alone being out in 120 degree temp. We just had 17 below night before last and it is up to 12 today. Take care I'll email soon.
Barb

 
At Wed Jan 19, 10:24:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mr meeting interrupter with the lunch order! We hope you are surviving! So does uncle sam! I need an address to send your W-2 to. Yeah, we know.. you're kicking ass for our country and still have to deal with taxes. Sorry..... Be well! The South Florida gang is proud of you! - Joey

 
At Fri Jan 21, 07:43:00 PM EST, Blogger Jim Tourville said...

Ah, but I get a battlefield tax exemption, woohoo. I'll send you an email with the address info.

 
At Sat Feb 26, 08:16:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning soldier! I work with your dad. He's pretty proud of you. I am grateful for all our service men and women. My dad was NAVY in WWII and my four brothers were AIR FORCE, AIRBOURNE ARMY VIET NAM, MARINES AND ARMY. The youngest is now 25 years NYSNG as a Major out of Schenectady. I have a daughter who is your age and a son 19. GOD BLESS YOU. Mrs. White

 

Post a Comment

<< Home