Monday, December 06, 2004

Thoughts on 60 Minutes piece

For those of you that caught the 60 Minutes show, you probably saw me, yet you didn't see me. My fraction of a second of fame will only show in slow motion I'd guess. Too bad, those gigantic glasses are damn flattering.

As for how I feel they presented things, it was a bit skewed. They definatly picked a wide variety of people to interview but who made the final cut were some of the more extreme cases. For instance I can guarantee you that the majority of people walking around Fort Jackson are not 55 years old, and under five feet tall. They are also not all mothers of three young children, though many do have children. I'm sure some of you noticed the big guy who got a lot of screen time, and I can assure you that while many of us are not in the best shape we are fit enough to do what needs to be done.

At the same time, it is important to note that it is disrupting a lot of people's lives, and the way some people are called up is asurd. I think they drove that home in their section about the people who aren't reporting. In any event I'll have to watch it when I get home and make a final judgement about it.

Please feel free to post your thoughts about it here.

2 Comments:

At Mon Dec 06, 11:21:00 PM EST, Blogger Adam said...

Sadly, I did miss your cameo on 60 Minutes. I watched it but didn't catch the snazzy specs. I think their whole intent was to only show the stories of those who are in the more extreme circumstances. That was the point of it. After watching it, I don't think anyone believes these people make up the majority. But CBS wanted to show how the military is having to rely upon people who they normally wouldn't. Like they're saying that so many people are being deployed that even these people are being called up.
When I was still in PA, there was a lot of press about the local national guard and reserves who were called to duty in Iraq for long periods of time. Most of them were 30-40 something men, and in several of the communities, businesses were hurting because of the large number of employees lost. Also, there were a lot of families forced to move out of their homes because of dwindling government aide to military families with the head of household deployed elsewhere.
He's not my president...

 
At Tue Dec 07, 07:38:00 PM EST, Blogger Jim Tourville said...

It is obvious that the Army has been stretched to the limit. From what I've heard recruiting is down also. I noticed this article about how their extending soldiers service time too.

10,000 troops get Iraq extension.There is a bit of talk about the draft lingering in many corners of conversation around me. I was convinced there would never be one again but being here has changed my mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home