Friday, October 28, 2005

Weave Man!

Everyday is a drive through a gauntlet of Kuwaiti and foreign national workers. We weave left and right along the highway, they counter-weave and we all avoid cracking each other second by second. It's a great orchestra of cars and behemoth trucks. It makes me crave driving in US traffic, but I'm relaxed anyway bouncing around like a pinball.

We stayed at the pier for most of the day. One guy makes a makeshift spear out of a steel rod and tries to hunt some tiny fish. He snags a couple of them and attaches their bodies to a fish hook we find lying around so we can try for bigger fish. My paranoia kicks in and I'm sure he's going to snatch my neck with this hook as he spins it in the air like a lasso. The fish are keener than us and only munch the guts of the fish while avoiding the hook. They take a taunting bite from each one and then show complete abandonment of interest for our bait. Navy boats pass by, surely wondering what we're up to but they never stop. Overall a good day with no calls at all, almost feels like I spent the day at Sea with the sun burning me up, hitting me from all directions.

2 Comments:

At Sun Oct 30, 01:06:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! You're writing really has taken on a life of it's own. Although it's been quite a few months of scanning this blog I am always left cracking a smile at something or other that you wrote. Thank you for making us at home feel okay about you being gone.

Tomorrow my parents have roped Ted and I into hauling wood over 100 yards from the field up to the side porch so that we can light up the wood stove...we were caught with our pants down when the snow hit last week and all 4 of us were upset not to have the wood stove going because of the lack of wood...Should be one hellava fun day.
Miss you, Stay safe!
Ash

 
At Mon Oct 31, 08:03:00 AM EST, Blogger Dan-O-Mite said...

Must be that time of year. Well, it is that time of year. Kendall and I spent 3 hours yesterday hauling wood to my parents back porch and stacking it. It was just nice to be outside. Sounds like you had one of those "nice to be outside" days too. After all the rain here, any excuse to venture out doors is great. Also, it hit 60+ here- a vertible summer day.
The cool thing is, it's going to be warmer today, perfect for the trick-or-treaters. Even though I will not be partaking of the candy hunt, every year I went out it rained or was cold. I'm glad today's kids can enjoy it.
Ash is right about your writing, it has a lot of life. When you get back you should throw it together and submit it somewhere. Or at least self-publish it as a keepsake. I know there are web sites for it. I'd buy a copy.
-Vader

 

Post a Comment

<< Home