Monday, October 17, 2005

Break Complete

Fortunately for me the last two weeks were marked by tons of great visits, food, and booze. I hate to see it come to an end but it has been a great time indicator for me as I'm nearing a year of activation. There were moments overseas when I felt like I had lived my whole life there, and would continue to. Strange and foolishly dramatic no doubt, but it's true nevertheless. I finally feel like I've made some progress towards coming home and that's proving to be invaluable to keeping my head sorted out. Odd that this suddenly comes on the eve of my return flight back to Kuwait. Still it has come and I'm thankful.

So what did I do on leave you ask? Well, when I first arrived I was fooled into thinking that I was going to have cool sunny weather to bask in. I sort of bragged in my head how I was a northern boy and could aclimate easily to what I perceived as an average fall day. Turns out my perception of cool was more like blistering heat in comparison to the frosty wet weather lurking around the mountains for 90% of my trip. Luckily this was all still a nice change from the constant dusty cloudless skies of Kuwait. It could sound absurd to summer lovers but I miss damp grey days.


Getting attuned to a new sleep schedule is always a hazy experience. You sort of feel loopy and distant until you can get on a semi-permanent schedule. Part of my haze was spent on golf carts which I highly recommend. You can view a few shots in the photo section.

Speaking of haze, if you haven't tried taking a dry run for the better part of a year and then having a sip of beer it may be worth it. I found myself in the airport nursing a couple of beers and chuckling at my ridiculously low newfound tolerance. I wasn't the only one chuckling though, I tried to be slurry chatty to those passing by with uneffective results. Needless to say the rest of the trip was marked with numerous beer sampling events.

There were also endless great get togethers throughout the two weeks. Local concerts, meals, bar visits, tubs of jello shots, chicken brawls and gambling. Mmmm vices, yes please. I can't wait for my return in a couple months.


I've posted a few photos of it all here: http://flickr.com/photos/krimzen

I'd have more if I wasn't such a dolt and could get them off my cell phone... hmm

Thanks to everyone for making this leave time superb.

Off again for 16 hours of flight, yeah!

4 Comments:

At Tue Oct 18, 07:00:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Safe travels! :)

 
At Tue Oct 18, 10:18:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so glad you got to go home to your family, friends, and all the beer your belly could hold....keep posting!!!
Tracy

 
At Wed Oct 19, 09:02:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,

I wish I could have came home for your visit. You look great. I am excited that you will closer soon!!
Love ya, Lisa

 
At Mon Oct 24, 02:02:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, thats right folks, I got the chicken again!!! Thought I would be pretty slow after all these years huh Vern??? HA Lets just say I have not lost my touch! But I must say that at least this time someone did not go away with tears in their eyes!! LOL Just kidding, all in good fun!
I had the best time that week with my aunt, uncle and best friend growing up. You made my year Jim by coming home to us and I was so happy to spend time with you. Poker night was the best though I have to admit. You managed to keep 80% of that beer in your mouth and according to Dr. Jay, that just about comes close enough to sober!!! :) Anyway I love you and cannot wait until you are back here permanently with us.... Take care and see you soon.
Love, Meaghan
ps, i still dont think your mom and dad have that video!!! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home